4 October 2017, Whitley, UK – The Range Rover Velar has achieved a five-star Euro NCAP rating, confirming one of the world’s most desirable luxury SUVs as among the safest too.
The fourth member of the Range Rover family scored 93% for adult occupant protection, 85% for child occupant protection and 74% for pedestrian protection.
Velar features a comprehensive suite of safety systems, including Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection. The advanced technology can detect a collision risk with cars or pedestrians in the road ahead and automatically apply the brakes. The system was awarded a maximum six marks in the Pedestrian detection tests by Euro NCAP’s testers.
Jeremy Hicks, Managing Director, Jaguar Land Rover UK, said: “For Velar customers, only the best is good enough and we are delighted the fourth Range Rover has been awarded five-star safety credentials. This, combined with excellent residual values and stunning design really set Velar out as a car that appeals to the heart and the head.”
By combining strong crash protection with advanced active safety systems, the Velar helps drivers to avoid accidents while providing excellent security to mitigate the effects of a collision if the worst does happen.
Euro NCAP’s findings state: “Tests of the autonomous emergency braking system at highway speeds demonstrated good performance, with collisions avoided or mitigated in all tests. In both the side barrier test and the more severe side pole impact, protection of all critical body areas was good and the Range Rover Velar scored maximum points.”
Range Rover Velar secured an overall Euro NCAP rating of 84% and is available with an all-star cast of advanced driver assistance systems including:
- Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection uses a forward-facing stereo camera to determine if a collision is imminent – full braking is triggered automatically to avoid collisions altogether, or to mitigate the effects
- Reverse Traffic Detection uses radar to monitor vehicles approaching from either side when reversing. An orange warning illuminates in the door mirrors to alert the driver to any potential danger
- Matrix-Laser LED headlights extend the range of full beam to 550 metres. The Adaptive Front Lighting system matches the light beam to the steering wheel angle, while the matrix technology selectively dims individual LEDs to maintain optimum light distribution without dazzling oncoming traffic
- Lane Keep Assist detects unintentional lane drift and applies corrective counter-steering to maintain lane position
- Driver Condition Monitor senses driver fatigue by monitoring steering, brake and accelerator inputs to provide alerts when tiredness is detected
- Intelligent Speed Limiter adjusts the vehicle speed when entering new speed limit zones
- Traffic Sign Recognition informs the driver of the current speed limit using the driver’s message centre instrumentation screen